Saturday 5 April 2008

Grand National

Grand National day is quite a nice way to make a rather uneventful Saturday into a Saturday with a mild bit of interest. That's if you got a punt on. Obviously if you don't, and have no interest in horse racing, it is simply just another Saturday.

I used to spend all my weekends at my grandparents house so usually I would be there when the Grand National was on. My grandfather would write down all our favourite names of the horses running and would go off to the bookies and put a quid on each way for all of us, and have a few on for himself. Very sadly he died last year, which meant I had to accept the grim reality of a less fun Grand National. 

Also, living in London means I don't spend my weekends at my Gran's house in Swansea. But it got me reminiscing about the Good Old Days and I roped my housemates into putting some bets on. I did it on the internet, which was obviously a bit easier for me as it involved no human contact, but it was actually really confusing and I wish I had the balls to just walk to one of the many, many bookies in She' Bu' and be a bit more straight up about it. 

Betfair.com was a bit of a struggle to figure out and I ended up spending more than I anticipated, doubling everyone's bets to a whopping £2. This would never have happened had I just stepped out of the house and walked a few metres to Ladbrokes and braved the gambling addicts. 

As it happens, we all lost, and only my horse even finished the course. But it did make for a slightly more exciting Saturday teatime.

No comments: