Wednesday 30 April 2008

A Londoner's Guide to Icmeler

The sun came out! And of course, I got sunburned. Despite the best efforts of SPF25, I've got red wings across my back.

I thought I'd give a few tips from the things I've learnt in the few days I've been here.

Don't use your hotel for booking excursions and suchlike. We used them to book a Turkish bath, and paid substantially more then if we'd gone to one of the many agents in the town.

Do have a Turkish bath. It's great. We were taken to one of the fanciest in Marmaris, but that also means one of the most touristy and most expensive. We paid 55YTL each for the hamam, soap massage, scrub, jacuzzi, face mask and oil massage. Which is about £22. Of course, in London, that's peanuts for nearly 2 hours of massages and the like, but we could've gone to a smaller hamam and paid more like £10 for the same treatments.

Walk around and have a look before making decisions. I know that seems obvious, but the way here is that staff from bars, restaurants, shops, etc. will try to lure you into their businesses. This can get annoying, and we've found that we like the places that don't do that as much. Especially at this time of year, at the beginning of the season when there are hardly any tourists around. Staff, nearly everywhere, are exceptionally friendly and speak good English.

Go on excursions! There are a quite a few activities around the area which are well worth investing in. Not least because they are so cheap. An all day boat trip, with stops at various beaches, lunch and all inclusive drinks, will set you back round £10. And it's a beautiful way to see the coastal scenery of the area.

I must go, the sun has got his hat on again, and there's a market in town today.

No comments: