Monday 30 June 2008

More Wimbledon

Andy Murray's match today was phenomenal. Totally stunning. The stuff of movies. And exemplary of why I love sport, tennis and Wimbledon.

To be honest, Sunday was a bit of a relief. There was no play on Sunday as all the scheduled matches had happened as miraculously there was hardly any rain last week so everyone got a day off. You see, I got a day off too. I was relieved of the anxiety of worrying that I was missing some of Wimbledon - which is a constant fear during the first week as so many great matches happen at the same time.

Chris Eaton's progress through qualifying and then to the 2nd round was like a fairytale and I really hope he goes on to do bigger and more exciting things. (although what is possibly more exciting than being British and playing on Centre Court or Court One?)

I am beside myself that Murray is through to the quarters. I have been a fan of his since his days of being in the top 500 and his Davis Cup debut. Now, my plan all week was to go to Wimbers on Wednesday - which is now when Murray will face Rafa Nadal. I am itching out of my skin to go and see this in the flesh but I have a concern.

The only time I went to see the Ospreys last season they lost. And it was miserable.

What if I bring bad luck?

That's a terribly arrogant thing to think but it's a fear that can stop you actually enjoying supporting your player/team. I remember my grandmother frequently leaving the room when Henman was playing because she thought that they very act of her watching was impeding his progress!

Hopefully I will make it on Wednesday, and I will queue and I will cheer maniacally and Murray will win.

No comments: