Saturday 14 June 2008

Up and Down and Side to Side

From London to Cardiff to Swansea to Cockermouth (no jokes, please - they asked) to Windermere to London.

That was my itinerary of the last week. It involved a lot of driving. I am tired.

The Lake District is superlatively beautiful. If you haven't been, I must insist you make a visit there because it must surely be one of the most breathtakingly beautiful areas in Britain.

On our way back from Cockermouth (the locals call it Knobingob) we thought we'd pass through Windermere (I'm a great fan) and take lunch there. So I stuck Lake Windermere into the TomTom and dutifully followed all its directions until it ended up directing us into the lake itself, at which point I figured that TomTom probably didn't realise that I meant 'a pub or restaurant near Lake Windermere with lovely views of the lake' and actually thought I meant 'please direct me to the very middle of the lake where my aqua car will take us on a journey to the depths'.

If only, but I was driving a KA, and not a Bond vehicle, so we re-directed and eventually ended up in the twee town of Windermere for a lovely spot of lunch.

The moral is: generally it is good to trust the TomTom, but always remember to use common sense and your eyes.

No comments: