Wednesday 27 February 2008

Lovely Lovely Rugby

What a lovely time I am having on the weekends.

Although I am still yet to find the ideal place to watch Wales beat all and sundry in this fantastic six nations, I am at least still getting to watch Wales beat all and sundry in this fantastic six nations.

I find generally, watching sport in England is a very different affair to the jovial, strong voiced adventure it is in Wales.

E.g. The atmosphere at Twickenham was similar to that of a rabies quarantine unit, I imagine. The atmosphere at the Millennium is incredible, in fact, the whole city of Cardiff on match days is awesome. Whereas I live within spitting distance (that's how you measure distance in football) of Loftus Road which is the home ground of QPR. Atmosphere in Shepherd's Bush on match days is just a bit more tense than usual. Of course cricket is a whole different ball game and Lord's is an experience not to be missed for any lover of either cricket, English summers, Pimms, extortionately priced strawberries or mild sunburn. This year I fully intend to encamp myself in Wimbledon for the eponymous sporting event of the English summer and I will be able to report how it goes on that front.

I guess what my point is, is that rugby and football are not as fun to watch here as they are back in Wales. This becomes very apparent when I am in a pub supporting Wales and I am involuntarily vociferous and the other patrons can do nothing but laugh at me. The only place this didn't happen was the Famous Three kings but it gets so damned busy in there it becomes unpleasant.

So I still looking for my ideal spot and I welcome any suggestions.

I would also like somewhere to watch late night cricket which is not a pub but a sort of living room for losers like me who stay up all night following inconsistent English cricket, that serves tea and toast 24 hours a day with big sofas and possibly blankets. Or am I on my own there and should I just pay for Sky Sports?

No comments: