Thursday 13 March 2008

The Other Half

I had a meeting today at Shoreditch House. It was one of those times where you are given a sneaky peek into a way of life that is almost inconceivably different to your own.

What a place. I think it was a big old factory or something and it's been turned into a super trendy member's club in the heart of the East end.

It's so cool. The style of the place is like a bunch of squatter artists have taken over and designed it to look effortlessly stylish, mega trendy and subversively expensive. It has a gym, a billion bars, a rooftop restaurant with panoramic views over the construction of the East London overland line (not so good), and an outdoor heated rooftop terrace swimming pool. Lovely.

The only problem is that being there can make you feel like a bit of a tosser. Especially if you have any level of social conscience.

It reminded me of the time I worked at Lord's in the hospitality boxes. My goodness, people have money to burn. Lord's is a beautiful place, but some of these corporate guests were spending over £2000 a day on food and drink alone. But then not tipping a penny! I've postulated before that the rich stay rich because they hardly tip. The most generous people are often the ones who can least afford it.

I wish I could afford it. I'd tip loads, I promise.

No comments: